Treetops Hospice Care provides palliative care and support to more than 2,000 patients and families every year, helping them achieve the best possible life.
We grew from a campaign started by Mrs Cally Cheetham in 1983, following her own experiences of caring for relatives suffering from cancer. Today, we deliver the highest quality care through Hospice at Home nursing, Wellbeing Services, a Support and Information Service and Counselling and Emotional Support programmes. Over the last 30 years, our services have grown, but our ethos remains the same; to welcome all into a supportive, safe and friendly environment, completely free of charge.
Currently there are no independent hospice beds in Southern Derbyshire and Southern Nottinghamshire. This means patients who are unable to stay at home are dying in a nursing home or acute hospital ward. Our vision is to build a 12-bedded facility in the grounds of Treetops to champion the importance of individual choice, alongside fair and fluid access to compassionate, co-ordinated, community-based care.
The bedded hospice will include:
- 12 private In-Patient rooms with en-suites and space for family to stay overnight
- A dedicated family room where families can be together whilst still providing privacy for patients
- A counselling room for families and children to receive emotional support
- A lounge as a social place to sit and chat with a beverage area offering free drinks for visitors
- A spiritual area as a special place for quiet reflection as well as a space for special occasions such as patient weddings and birthday parties
- Open reception area to provide a warm and friendly welcome
- A professional kitchen to prepare meals and treats for patients and their families, meeting special dietary requirements
- Twelve acres of beautiful grounds with wheelchair friendly gardens
- Free parking for visitors
“I had the great privilege of caring for both my parents at the ends of their lives at home. It was this experience that encouraged me, with the support of my husband Nev and a small group of local people, to found Treetops Hospice Care more than 30 years ago. The excellent Wellbeing, Hospice at Home and Therapeutic Services now offered by Treetops are a great support to families who find themselves in this same position.
“Caring for Nev at home more recently has again brought home to me how difficult it is managing the last stages of a loved one’s life even with support, and I am also very aware that dying at home is not a possibility for everyone.
“It’s for these reasons that I feel so excited about Treetops decision to take the next confident step in providing a much-needed In-Patient Unit at Risley.
“We all want the best for the people we are close to – helping to put this facility in place will ensure quality care for our loved ones when the need arises.”